Sunday, June 6, 2010

Week 1

So I'm going to try to keep more of a daily/weekly diary of our trip. Mostly for my own records, but you are welcome to keep up if you are interested.

Day 1 (May 29/30) - We had a 7:35 flight out of Dallas direct to Heathrow. Dad suggested that we get to the airport around 4:30 to we could try to get a bassinet for Cole (which I was informed by 2 AA agents were available on a first come first serve basis). Mom and Dad would take me to the airport and help me give the boys dinner (our dinner time is 5:30 - I mean, if you were someone who followed a schedule or anything). Of course Dad suggested this at 4:15...so we didn't actually get there until 5:00, but close enough.

Fist things first I go to check in. Lets see - there is only a bassinet available in row 20 which is coach, but since my husband so lovingly used ALL his miles to fly us business class, no bassinet for me. That's ok, surely I can hold a 7 month old for 9 hours straight - no problem.

Next...oh what? you dont have a return ticket because you don't have a return date set in stone yet? Well you have a visa then right? NO!!! If we will be gone for under 6 months we don't need one. But according to the airline, no return trip means a visa - so I have to buy return tickets...and thus the crying starts...

OK, so I get out of having to buy the tickets by making a reservation to buy tickets and aparently my fragile state has thankfully persuaded the gate agent to break the rules and allow my mom to accompany me through security. Thank GOD! Cole's "special" shoes set off the metal detector and we spent the next 20 minutes dealing with that. Where's Cade - with YaYa of course. What would I have done if she hadn't been there??? I don't even want to answer.
So on to the gate and immediately they call for boarding. I can't even breathe I'm so stressed, but as soon as I get settled on the plane I can relax. 9 hours. Overnight flight. Already past the boys bedtime. Piece of cake. Uh huh.
So of course the shortest version is Cade screamed for 4 hours straight. Then finally fell asleep. 30 minutes later Cole woke up and was up for the next 4 hours. So 1 hour before we landed everyone was asleep finally. Except me. Joy.
Customs was a welcome suprise as I wheeled my stroller and 3 carry on bags, wearing Cole (which I have been doing without respit for 10 hours now). A nice girl motioned me past the 500 person line straight to the front and I was through...how did that happen? Don't ask, just be thankful. I went to gt our bags (all 5 huge suitcases) and they were already off the carousel and waiting for me. WOW!
We get our porter and go to meet Steve and our car...oh wait...no car. So apparently, the reservation was lost and no one showed up to get us. The company sent someone "right away". 45 minutes later, a station wagon showed up. Not a van. No car seats. Hell, I don't care anymore...shove everything in and take me somewhere to lie down!
Aparently my flight information was wrong and we showed up an hour earlier than posted, so the realor wasn't at our apartment to meet us. So we just hung out on the street. For 45 minutes. Suitcases. Babies. And all.
And oh the apartment....there are just no words. Just. No, Words. Lets just say that a working oven, dishwasher, washer/dryer, a single faucet in the house without a leak...aparently not part of the ridiculous rent we are paying. So then I LOSE it. The tears turn into sobbing. The sobbing into hyperventilating....you get the idea.
Day 2 - After a little rest, I'm starting to pull myself together. We tool around our new neighborhood. Stop in at McDonalds. Get some groceries. I ordered a crib and stroller and am anxious to get them, but it's a bank holiday here and nothing is going on. We try to get me a cell phone (which is called a mobile here...MOW BILE...get that straight!), but the network is down, so no luck.
Day 3 - Rain. I wait at the flat all day for my deliveries, but nothing comes. Except the plumber who confirms that my washer is dead, my oven doesn't work and our sink is leaking. He "repaired" my sink with a 2 inch wide strip of caulk. Did you know Caulk is not waterproof? I did. Maybe they don't teach that in plumber school. Whatever...except my small leak is now a BIG leak. Oh, and to make my dishwasher work, he's run an EXTENSION CORD from the dishwasher under my LEAKING SINK and to the wall. Huh. What could possibly go wrong there? Dont' worry - We'll be back tomorrow to bring you a new washing machine...
Day 4 - Crib and stroller delivered - Eureka! So happy to be able to get out of the house. Still no work on my oven and suprise suprise...no washing machine today. Who needs food and clean clothes? Apparently not the Hiltpolds. But I got a mobile finally. Back in touch with the world.
Day 5 - Hyde park part 1. After naps, I packed lunch, a blanket, a soccer ball, the camera...oh yeah, and the munchkins. We headed to the park where I laid everything out and we had the BEST 5 minutes...Then Mr. "I just turned 2" threw his first public tantrum and boy was it a doozy. So I repacked the 40 pounds of stuff and 2 kids and we marched back home. I need a nap.
Day 6 - Hyde park part 2. Exactly like part 1 but sans tantrum, so we stayed about 2 hours. We rode the carousel (which is WAY to fast by the way). We saw the swans. We napped really well. YAY - Our toys have arrived! Finally, something other than light sockets to play with...Oh - and a new washing machine. Which overflowed within 2 hours of having it...of course it did.
Day 7 - It's Saturday and Daddy is home. This is the BEST! We started out with breakfast. Hmm...baked beans are on the menu for traditional english breakfast. We were hoping for pancakes, but baked beans it is. Then over to Whiteley's (the mall) for a run in to H&M and Gap. POW! What? A gun shot? No...That was the tire on our brand new stroller blowing out. Good times. Now we only have to get a 45 pound stroller, picnic stuff, camera, and 2 kids 1/2 a mile to the bike shop to get it fixed. Thank goodness for Daddy.


OK, stroller fixed. Off to Hyde park again. Same fun.

Home for naps (all 4 of us). After naps, we set off again and end up at Portobello market. Very interesting. About a mile of street market. Cool shop at the beginning with "sewing machine walls".




Day 8 - OK, we are going to find some pancakes in this city. Wolseley's! Yum! We took our first taxi and thoroughly enjoyed this breakfast! A must do! Then a walk through Green Park to Buckingham Palace. A tube ride home, more naps and a quiet afternoon at home.


It's been quite a week! I can't even imagine what's to come. I miss Texas, but I am determined to make the most of this once in a lifetime experience. Here's to you London!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Oh my Sissy!!!!
I am SO VERY proud of you! Completely jealous of all you are going to do and see!
Laughing hysterically at the telling of it...which is the whole point of crappy days--belly laughs later!
Yay You!
Love you. Can't wait to Skype sometime tomorrow!
Cheers--amy

Sharley said...

WOW....a lot has already happened. So sorry about all the home stuff, what a drag. Sounds like you have a sense of humor about it. Keep posting, love to hear it all! Love from MA.

Courtney said...

Roll with the punches, Mol! You are very blessed to have a new wonderful little town to live in the next few months. I have to admit that I'm giggling a little at your experience so far. It can only go up from here, right? And yea, I forgot to tell you about the baked beans with breakfast. I found that weird too. The best is fish and chips. Go to Mermaid Tail. You'll love it. Let me know when you go to Tower of London. Enjoy the next couple of months, lovey. Give the boys kisses from Aunt CoCo.

Unknown said...

Oh the joys of travel! Just think how much you have survived and it just makes you stronger. I am so proud of you and it doesn't seem like you have hurt anyone so good job! Pictures are wonderful. If I get over to the England within your stay there we will have to meet up! Enjoy it, the time will pass before you know it, and you will be back dealing with customs! Look forward to reading the rest of the story!