Monday, June 28, 2010

Week 4

Well - can you believe it? We've been living and London for almost a month now! I believe that summer finally arrived this week and that my friends is wonderful. It's still cool in the mornings (maybe in the 60's) and all this week it was in the mid 70's with the exception of Sunday where I think it reached the low 80's. I have to admit it's a very welcome change to a Texas summer.
This week started off with one very bad haircut which has since been through at least 3 iterations with mom fixing here and there. I think we are satisfied that it is as good as it's going to get and we are just waiting it out. We also got the news that we have carpet beetles. Don't ask. Just google it. I can't even talk about it. Treatment is $500. I'm waiting for an answer from the agent on if they will cover it. You can imagine my mood. These pictures were after only 1 revision of the hair.
I was finally able to meet up for a play date with a friend of a friend in Hyde park. Cade and I both had a great time (Cole mostly slept). It was nice to talk to another mom and get some weekend travel ideas. We hope to be planning a trip to the beach soon.
I also took Cade to his first Gymboree class. Not what I was hoping for. I was the only "caregiver" there who spoke English as a first language. C showed little to no interest in the class. He wouldn't participate. He threw a couple mini fits. He just wanted to play on the toys. When it was over, however, he promptly asked if we could go back and "play kids" again. Oh sweet child - you sometimes wear me out.
We stayed a little closer to home this weekend and visited the Tower of London as well as the Tower Bridge. Most people actually call this the London bridge, but in fact the London bridge is just up the river and completely unremarkable. The Tower bridge is quite beautiful and ornate - makes for much better post cards. Here my friends is your history lesson for the week. Study it - there will be q quiz when I return.
The Tower of London was also fun. Really interesting. Really Really old. We got to see the Crown Jewels. Wow. But this is also where both of our kiddos started to melt down, so we kind of rushed and didn't get to absorb as much info as we could have. Sue me.
Saturday night we did our best to make a "home style" meal. We made fajitas and black beans. Not the best we've ever had, but it certainly wasn't bad and it's nice to have something to remind you of home. We also watched the US lose in the world cup. Boooo.
Sunday Sunday Sunday. Sunday we went for pancakes (as we have made a habit of doing every weekend morning per Cade's request). We headed down to Hyde park...again. It seems like we go there all the time - and we do. It's just so big and there's so much to do and see it's just always a good option. We were planning on going to the Princess Diana memorial playground (you know Di - always for the kiddos), but it wasn't open yet so we headed over to see about paddle boats on the serpentine. Instead, we got sidetracked by our new favorite find - the Princess Diana Memorial fountain. This thing is so cool. It's a fountain/river/play pool/picnic area thingy. Clean, fun, super family friendly, Cade had the BEST time. I wasn't sure we'd ever get his to agree to leave. Cole even got to take his shoes off and dip his feet, but it was REALLY cold and he wasn't a huge fan. I'm sure we will spend much more time here in weeks to come.
And this little munchkin. I just can't get enough of that sweet face...or the scowl. I kinda like that too. He's a roll-y one, this boy. Starting to scoot. Eating me out of house and home. just want to Eat. Him. Up.
Not sure about next weekend yet. Maybe the beach? Not sure. But I promise there will be pancakes ;)

1 comment:

mom said...

I so love these missives...and I am so happy you are making such good memories!!!Carpet beatles be damned..their not gonna rule the day! Love ya, faanmw!!!! Mom